Top 10 uses of Vinegar in Gardening, listed and explained one by one – Acetic Acid Benefits in Garden.
Vinegar – chemically called Acetic Acid with the Chemical formula – CH3COOH (that means the elements are Carbon, Oxygen and Hydrogen in it). This is an inexpensive product and easily available and used in kitchen worldwide in a concentration of 5 percent generally and here we refer to the white vinegar or distilled vinegar.
So, In Gardening, Can it be used as a Fertilizer? No! because its chemically made up of Carbon Hydrogen and Oxygen –CH3COOH and the plants can easily get these elements from the air. SO it’s a MYTH, not a fact.
So what are the actual proven uses of Vinegar or Acetic acid in Gardening. Lets list out one by one:
1. It Kills Weeds or unwanted grass when sprayed directly without diluting. This works very well in cracks and crevices. But you have to be careful when applying close to your favourite plants. The mechanism of action here is it dissolves the cell membranes resulting in desiccation of tissues and death of the plant.
2. To Drive away Ants around your plants. Just pour undiluted solution around the ant hills or around the plants / soil. If you have faced this problem practically and the difficulties when ants burrow around your favourite plant and you fear that your plant might be destroyed, you will realize the importance of this benefit.
3. To Drive away some animals like Cats and dogs who can damage your plants by digging the soil or breaking your soft plants and succulents. This is because of its pungent smell which animals hate. The hack here is to soak any cloth in vinegar and place in important areas in your garden.
4. It can be used to clean rust and dirt easily from your garden tools. Pour or dip the tool in vinegar for about 20 minutes.
5. TO preserve or Freshen up Cut Flowers or even liven drooping flowers – for this you make a solution of 2 tablespoons vinegar and 1 teaspoon sugar in 1 litre of water. Pour this in your vase or container.
6. You can also used to to clean Clay pots – immerse the pots in a vinegar solution 1: 2 or 1: 3 in water and clean after 20 to 30 minutes.
7. Insect Spray: Vinegar is an effective solution for eliminating garden insects. To create a vinegar spray that works on garden insects, combine three parts water with one part vinegar in a spray bottle and add a teaspoon of dishwashing or handwash detergent. Shake the spray bottle to mix the contents thoroughly before spraying on the plants. This is a very effective remedy to control white files and I have successfully used this on my hibiscus to eliminate white flies. This is also effective for eliminating fungus from your plant.
8. Drive away fruit flies from your fruit plants. You need to make a Vinegar bait with a cup of water and half a cup of vinegar, ¼ cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon of molasses. Mix it all together and put that solution in an empty container or tin can and hang it on affected fruit tree you’ll see how it will attract and trap them. The similar solution can be used for houseflies too.
9. Useful for Acidic PH loving plants like gardenias, hibiscus etc. Mix cup of white vinegar to a gallon of water and water you acid loving plants with this solution.
10. To Kill slugs and snails. spray the vinegar directly on the snails and wait. The vinegar will dissolve the snails. Also magnesium sulphate salt has similar effect on them.